Yoga Therapy Course in India
An overview: Yoga Therapy and Courses
Yoga therapy is a unique blend of traditional yoga practices and modern therapeutic methods aimed at promoting physical, mental, and emotional well-being. In India, yoga therapy has been an integral part of the country’s healthcare system for centuries and has gained widespread popularity across the world. A yoga therapy course in India offers a comprehensive education in the therapeutic application of yoga, covering topics such as anatomy, physiology, and the underlying principles of yoga therapy and therapeutic yoga course.
The curriculum is designed to equip students with the necessary skills and knowledge to effectively integrate yoga into a variety of therapeutic settings, including hospitals, clinics, and rehabilitation centers. Whether you’re a yoga practitioner looking to deepen your understanding of the practice or a healthcare professional seeking to expand your therapeutic toolkit, a yoga therapy course in India is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable insights and hands-on experience in the field of yoga therapy.
What is Yoga and Yoga Therapy?
Both yoga and yoga therapy comes from ancient Indian philosophy and has become more popular in recent years because they are good for your body, mind, and emotions. But there are important differences between the two that make them different.
- Yoga is a practice for your body and mind that includes different poses, breathing exercises, and ways to focus your mind. The goal of yoga is to improve your overall health and well-being, get stronger and more flexible, and feel more at peace with yourself.
- Yoga therapy, on the other hand, is when yoga practices and teachings are used to treat specific medical conditions or to improve physical, mental, and emotional health. Yoga therapy is made to fit the needs of each person and is usually done in a hospital, clinic, or rehabilitation center.
- The main difference between yoga and yoga therapy is that yoga is a general practice meant to improve health and well-being as a whole, while yoga therapy is a specialized form of therapy meant to treat specific medical conditions. Also, yoga classes are usually led by a teacher who has been trained in yoga, while yoga therapy is usually led by a therapist or health care professional who has been trained in both yoga and traditional alternative healing medicine.
Why to study therapeutic Yoga course?
- Therapeutic Yoga courses offer personalized care, targeted treatment, medical knowledge, clinical experience, and career opportunities. It is designed to treat specific medical conditions and promote physical, mental, and emotional well-being, unlike regular yoga training. By taking a yoga therapy course, students gain a deep understanding of anatomy, physiology, and the principles of Yoga therapy, making them well-equipped to work in healthcare or wellness industries as yoga therapists or rehabilitation specialists.
- Yoga therapy course integrates traditional yoga practices with modern medical knowledge for a comprehensive approach to treatment.
- It offers personalized care. It is tailored to individual health needs, providing effective and safe treatment.
- It is focused to treat and heal people with its targeted treatment methodology and approach. It focuses on treating specific medical conditions and promoting well-being.
Why you should choose this Yoga Therapy course in India at Vishuddhi Isha Yoga?
- We do not offer commercial Yoga here. We strive and endeavor to teach authentic traditional Yoga inspired by Iyengar, Shivanada, and classic hatha Yoga systems. We have devised a unique therapeutic approach where participants are exposed to the healing potential of Yoga and not just any kind of Yoga. These techniques are delivered and taught in a simple and effective way
- We are expecting dedicated and serious students to join our courses who are truly dedicated to personal transformation. We offer a serious traditional approach to learning Yoga based on ancient Indian Vedic Sciences ethos and methodology. We employ dedicated and serious teachers who are not only experienced but also are awakened
- A course and Yoga therapy training at VIY is just the beginning of your personal and professional transformation. We follow up with continued communication and guidance one to one online if students wish to do so
- We keep small groups (max 5 to 6) to give individual attention and interaction which leads to the unique learning experience
- The most effective way of learning and teaching Yoga is from ‘Direct Experience. This is the traditional teaching that you will inherit the fruits of the wisdom of ancient Yogis to present day
- We offer opportunities for volunteering for enthusiastic students after the course who succeeds in displaying performance and the right Yogi attitude and personal professional ethics
Is this therapeutic yoga course appropriate for you?
“Learn key skills and practices to build a thriving successful career as a Yoga therapist.”
Live online video session with our lead teacher, Pradip Krishnaa for the relevant course to ascertain your readiness and prior preparation.
Online registration and payment, if approved to do so by the lead teacher after the step 1
Gauge your expectations (expectations go both ways in life)
What can you expect at Yoga Therapy Course at VIY or we expect from participants?
We expect you to follow the discipline and code of conduct being laid out for students and participants; we don’t allow non-vegetarian food, smoking and drinking alcohol in the Yoga school’s premises. It is advised to abstain from sexual and sensual pleasures during the training for your own good. You should live with simplicity in a pure Yogi way. You are also advised to come with minimum issues, mental and emotional baggages. Try to avoid all the distractions during the training for deeper immersion. We also advise you to avoid useless chatting and rather engage yourself in personal and group practice. You must be respectful to teachers and support staff in the Yoga centre. Last but not the least, you must be open to learn and remain focused on the course only and nothing else on mind between your arrival and departure.
“Ignore the outside noise and focus on your work is the mantra to get the most of anything in life.”
– Pradip Krishnaa
Kindly read Code of Conduct and Rules here.
What do we teach in this Yoga Teacher Therapy Training?
Yoga Therapy Teacher Training in India, Orientation by Lead Teacher, Pradip krishnaa
200 hrs Yoga Therapy Teacher training is based on the techniques and principles of Hatha yoga, which is practiced in a restorative and therapeutic way. A sequence of pranayamas and asanas are practiced in an easy, accessible, and therapeutic manner that targets specific diseases and organ systems. Asanas are selected to stretch specified parts of the body and manipulate prana (vital life force) in others.
A thorough study of Yoga Therapy anatomy and physiology, as well as healing mudras, relaxation techniques, and meditations, is being taught, with an emphasis on learning everything practically. Five major organ systems and associated disorders are being studied in detail to design the most effective yoga therapy sequence as a case study. We give you a minimum of two case studies and ample assignments to keep you hooked on the course all the time.
Detailed Course Curriculum for Yoga Therapy Teacher Training Course (4 weeks, 200 Hrs)
1. Study of Health and Disease according to Ayurveda
- Ayurveda Introduction
- Panchmahabhuta Concept of Body and mind (Five Elements)
- TriDosha (Three Constitutions) Concept (Vata , Pitta and Kapha)
- The effect of the dosas in the body according to season, day time and age
- Concept of Body and Mind (Holistic Approach to healing
- Knowing your dosha
- Diet and Daily Regimen for each dosha
Note: Ayurveda Concepts are only introductory and not in detailed. Two sessions of 90 minutes each would be devoted for teaching these concepts close to the end of the course.
2. Study of Asanas
a) Pawanamuktasana Series (Adopted from Bihar School of Yoga)
- Anti-rehumatic Group
- Digestive/Abdominal Group
- Energy Blocks Releasing Group
- Application of these series for common diseases
b) Iyengar Therapeutic Series
- Foundation postures for sequencing according to a disease
- Sequences for the Cardiovascular, Immune, Nervous, Digestive, Respiratory and Uro genital systems.
c) Six fold Detoxification Techniques in Yoga (Yogic Shat Kriyas)
- Laghoo & Deergha Shankaprakshalana
3. Asana Methodology
- Core Principles of Asana Practice through Asana Methodology
- Yoga Therapy Sequence : Core Principles for designing Yoga Therapy
- The Science of Asanas and their therapeutic effects
- Standing Postures
- Forward Bending Postures
- Meditation Postures
- Back Bending Postures
- Twisting Postures
- Inverted Postures
- Relaxation Postures
- Health Assessment for patients/students.
- Teaching Practicum
- Videos: Yoga Therapy Anatomy of Body systems & related disorders and diseases
- Use of Yoga Therapy props, blocks, bolsters, chair, belts etc.
4. Relaxation Techniques
Quick Relaxation Technique
- Yoga Nidra
- Healing the Body-Mind (Creative Visualization & Self Hypnosis)
- Chakra Breathing
5. Study of Pranayama (breathing exercises) & Bandhas
- The Mechanics’ of Breathing
- Four Aspects of Pranayama
- Introducing the practitioner to his natural breath
- Abdominal Breathing
- Thoracic Breathing
- Clavicles Breathing
- Full Yogic Breath
- Nadi Shodhana
- Sheetali & Sheetkari
- Surya Bhedan
- Moola, Uddiyan, Jalandhara & Maha Bandha.
- Application of Pranayamas for healing and managing disorders
6. Mudra Therapy (Psychic Gestures and Locks)
- Using mudras to heal physical problems
- Using mudras to heal emotional and mental problems
- Chin Mudra
- Jnana Mudra
- Shambavi Mudra
- Nasikagra Mudra
- Prana Mudra
- Shanmukhi Mudra
- Kechari & Kaki Mudra
- Apana Mudra
- Apana Vayu Mudra
- Prana Mudra
- Jal Mudra
- Prithvi Mudra
- Mudra therapy for curing chronic diseases and conditions
7. The Yogic Diet
- Yogic Diet: What Yogis should eat
- Relationship between food and our emotions
- How food affects our mind?
- Fasting and its benefits
- Ayurveda Diet and Nutrition Concepts
8. Energy Anatomy
- Concept of Nadis (Energy Pathways)
- Concept of Koshas
- Concept of five Pranas
- The chakras
- Correlation of Chakras Nadis their connection with physical, mental and emotional health
9. Yoga Philosophy
- Yoga Sutras
- Concept of Abhyasa and Vairagyam
- Ashtanga Yoga (The 8 limbs of Yoga)
10. Yoga Therapy Anatomy
- Cardiovascular System
- Respiratory System
- Digestive System
- Skeletal System
- Muscular System
- Related disorders and its management through Yoga methods and Tools
This therapeutic yoga course includes 2 manuals from our institution and reference books (Library Access)
11. Case Studies & Assignments
By the Fourth Week, students will be asked to take up at least 3 case studies, 2 mandatory and one optional which would be the part of the final assessment and practical exam for Yoga Therapy.
Practicum Part: Students are are supposed to demonstrate in the class on one selected case out of 2 or 3 as a teacher for a specific disease or disorder based on paper submission in the theory part
Theory Part: Submission of 2 case studies (On Paper)
Approach Included : Ayurveda Nutrition & Diet concepts, conventional medicine, alternate holistic healing therapies, Yogic principles, Hatha Yoga techniques
Written Final Exam:
3 hrs written exam in the end phase of the course
Results, Certification and Ceremony:
On successful completion as per the standards of the school, students would be awarded with certification on the last day of the course.
To attain the certification and graduation, you will have to pass a practical and theoretical exam. It is not difficult for serious students to pass the exams. In the practical exam, you will take the role of a teacher, teaching essential yogic techniques outside of the course as instructed by your teachers. The theoretical exam is comprised of a written exam covering the concepts taught during the therapeutic yoga course syllabus. Students will be provided a course manual and recommended books which they can buy and refer to or read from the school library based on availability.
Yoga Therapy Course Outcome & Certification
200 Hrs. Yoga Therapy Teacher training certification, internationally recognized Yoga Alliance International (YAI) accredited course certification
Enrolled Yoga Therapy Teacher Training ( YTT) students would get a 25% fee concession on Residential Ayurveda Courses and 50 % less on online Ayurveda courses
Early Bird discount applicable for minimum 60 days’ advance online payment and registration
You are requested to engage lead teacher or Director personally through skype or email communication to do your own person self-assessment for this course. Yoga Therapy is not a style so you can’t expect to learn everything new rather it’s an application of already known methods with a completely different approach. You also learn completely new subjects and topics. Kindly refer the course content below on this page for more clarity and understanding. Alternatively engage the teachers online for self-assessment and guidance.
Informed decisions are better than hasty misinformed ones.
Therapeutic Yoga Course Structure
Foundation part : First 1.5 weeks: Learning tools of Yoga therapy (asanas, pranayama, Hatha Yoga techniques and methods), However approach is different so revisiting and relearning with a new approach might make a huge difference even for experienced teachers and surely for fresher’s.
Core therapy part : Remaining 2.5 weeks are spent vigorously on yoga therapy anatomy physiology, related disorders, diseases & case studies involving designing live sequences for max 6 and minimum 5 diseases or disorders followed by practical and written exams.
We provide sharing and non sharing accommodation officially from 2023 January onwards.
We are located just 5 minutes walking distance from the famous Candolim beach in North Goa. Our Yoga Ayurveda School is placed amidst peaceful tranquil lush green surroundings, with a view of paddy fields on two sides and a beautiful view of the hilltop on the other sides. 🙂
Premises is ideal for your Yoga practice and meditations. We have a huge lush green landscape, big swimming pool with coconut and herbs being grown around. You can just go out of your apartment, roll your mat out and start practicing as you like.
1. Shared furnished apartment with shared washroom, kitchen, common living room, but separate bedrooms.
2. Non sharing Apartment, 1 bhk apartment with private washroom.
- Accommodations is subject to availability and we suggest you to register minimum 2 to 3 months in prior to your schedule especially if you are joining schedules falling between Janaury to March months in winters.
- Accommodation is avaliable on first come first basis only.
In case, you don’t get accommodation with us the no worries, we do recommend and assist students with accommodation options within their budgets(fully furnished apartments with kitchen, basic rooms and homestays nearby at walking distance or within the 2 km radius.)
Have a look here: